Sunday 9 September 2012

Blackberry




What can one say about the ubiquitous Blackberry? What more can be added to the list of uses that this wonderfully abundant and tasty fruit already has?

Well, obviously something or I wouldn't be writing this blog I suppose.

My use of this wonderful berry is, like simple origami, threefold; Bramble vodka, blackberry and apple jelly and game sauce/gravy.

Blackberry Vodka is a drink that reminds me of dark winter evenings sitting in front of a flickering wood fire, shadows dancing across the watercolours on my wall, a good book on my lap - probably Dickens but possibly Conrad or Lawrence - and the cats sprawled around the room in various careless positions. It is a drink easily made but not casually drunk. Not if you value your head the next day.

The recipe is the epitome of simplicity too; sugar, vodka, blackberries - that's it! Put however much vodka you like/can afford into a Demi-Jon add sugar, blackberries, shake and leave for up to three months. I'm always asked "how much sugar?" but that's an individual requirement. I would start at 100 grams per 70 CL bottle of vodka and then taste it after a few weeks. Their are friends who think my bramble vodka too sweet and those who find it not sweet enough - so taste it and add more if you want. Mine usually ends up around 150 g per bottle. As for the fruit, I always decant the liquid off after about 3 months but for goodness sake don't throw the leftover berries away - put them in a kilner jar topped up with either sugar syrup or more vodka and use it at Christmas it's just too good to waste.

It's been hiding away for months....
As for the Game recipe, well I just add a tablespoon full of soft brown sugar to about 100 grams of berries and half a bottle of mulled wine, which can be purchased from all good stores around Christmas and saved for such emergencies as cold winter, spring, summer and autumn evenings - or game recipes. The spices are included in the red wine for you so all you need are 3 or 4 juniper berries and herb of your choice, depending on the Game, rosemary, thyme and sage are the natural favourites. Reduce the sauce to the consistency you require and serve. It's wonderful. The sugar removes some of the bitterness and adds depth of flavour to the jus.

The Apple and Blackberry Jelly is a bit more complex, but there are recipes for jam making available everywhere, I use the River Cottage one mostly as it's straightforward. I cook the fruit on one day and hang it in a jelly bag until the next. Then I make the jelly by adding the sugar and jar it up for presents plus a couple to keep for ourselves.

Just with two of these three ideas, Christmas Presents become easier to consider. Most of my friends and family look forward to their booze, chutney or jams, and those who are ambivalent towards these, love my wife's home-made chocolates - and she's a professional!